středa 22. února 2012

Hey everyone once again,
in this blog entry I will discuss the way I expected things to turn out and what surprised me about the way some things came out.

Firstly I will talk about Nora and her decision to leave her husband and children. This in fact, was very surprising for me, not because she was a woman, but because it was her family she had left, a huge part of her life. Throughout the book she seemed to me like a grown up woman with childish ideas and character. The way she behaved and everything made me think that, especially the way she was speaking. She did not seemed to me like someone capable of rational thinking, rather a doll played by her husband. But still, at the end of the play she decided to leave the house and find herself, who she really is other than wife of Torvald.

Other thing that surprised me was the behaviour of Krogstad. He, who was throughout the book displayed as the worst human on the entire world, was able to love and forgive. Despite all what he has been through he was still able to sacrifice something for the one he loved, even if she left him a long time ago and made him what he was now. The whole book he was for me the bad guy, but after I have read the entire book, he did not seemed to me no longer like that as I have mention in my previous blog entry about the play characters.

So yeah, that is about all the things that surprised me the most about the way things evolved in the book. I was expecting a totally different ending. Maybe that Nora would do anything to get the respect of her husband again instead of leaving him and her children ... But then again, would mother leave her kids only to find who she really is and not even try to fight for them? I mean it is a good thing she started to think about the way she lived, but I think that it was quite late for her to do that, now that she had attachments. And do not forget this was based on a real life of Ibsen's friend. I wonder to which part it was real and which part (if any) Ibsen added just to have some plot in it. But for that we would have to ask him....

1 komentář:

  1. What do you think of Nora's decision? You mention that you were surprised, but do you think she did the right thing? You ask a good question -- what's more important: a person's attachments and responsibilities, or self-discovery and freedom? What do you think?

    OdpovědětVymazat